Finding ways to relieve stress is absolutely crucial in today’s chaotic world. We need daily buffers to remind us that we are living, thinking, and feeling human beings, not just work-a-holic machines.
If we don’t attend to our stress, we can very quickly build up unhealthy levels, sometimes leading to serious conditions like depression, anxiety disorders, heart disease, diabetes, gastrointestinal disorders, eating problems, insomnia, and substance abuse, as well as headaches, muscle pains, and fatigue.
Because everyone experiences stress, and it is an unavoidable facet of life, we all need to find our own methods to cope with it.
Stress can be alleviated in a variety of ways, but what works for some may not work for others. A lot of it depends on our personality, what habits we find enjoyable, and what kind of work we’re taking a break from.
I took it upon myself to try and come up with 50 potential stress relievers. You may find some useful and some not so useful. That’s OK. Some might also spark new ideas that I may have forgotten. Leave a comment if you discover something that I missed!
50 Stress-Relievers That Take 5 Minutes Or Less
1. Take ten deep breaths.
2. Do push-ups, crunches, or pull-ups
3. Play with a pet
4. Take a short walk
5. Read an article in the newspaper
6. Call a friend
7. Listen to a song
8. Watch a video on YouTube
9. Play an instrument
11. Eat a healthy snack
12. Spark a conversation
13. Make yourself a cup of coffee
14. Sit in the sun and get some fresh air
16. Sing a favorite song
18. Drum on your desk
19. Count your blessings
20. Make plans to go out to dinner
21. Go outside and feed the birds
22. Do a small favor for someone
23. Write a note to a loved one
24. Water the plants
25. Look through a photo album
26. Take a shot of liquor or take a hit of cannabis – unwind a bit
27. Do a search on Google for “funny jokes”
28. Gaze at the stars
29. Get a back massage
30. Stretch or do yoga
31. Take a quick shower
32. Write a poem
33. Check your email or Facebook
34. Make a list of old things around the house to donate
35. Clean your desk
36. Try a word puzzle or Sudoku
37. Spend a moment with your children
38. Do jumping jacks
39. Scream at the top of your lungs (or into a pillow if you don’t want to disturb anyone)
40. Go to the bathroom
41. Play a game of billiards or ping pong
42. Check the local weather report
43. Sit somewhere with good scenery
44. Make a list of things to do on the weekend
45. Recite a prayer
47. Wash your face with cold water
48. Take a power nap (make sure to set an alarm!)
49. Read your affirmations
50. Drive around town briefly
Save this list and use it as a resource when you’re looking for new ways to relieve stress.
Stay updated on future articles by signing up to The Emotion Machine mailing list.