Neurons that fire together wire together. So the more we practice having thoughts or beliefs that benefit our well-being, the more naturally those thoughts and beliefs will play themselves out in our everyday life.
Affirmations are one way to develop new beliefs that can eventually become second-nature. Every morning or evening we can repeat these affirmations with a clear and focused mind, and with practice these beliefs can take hold inside our brains.
One caveat, however, is to make sure that the affirmations you repeat to yourself are congruent with reality, and aligned with your core values. I’ve seen many people come up with delusional affirmations and then attempt to ingrain them into their minds. Even when they do succeed, those beliefs can be detrimental.
Please be aware of the meaning and intention behind the affirmation before you decide to “program it” into your mind.
The following is just a list of suggestions on some of the affirmations you may want to practice. Feel free to use the ones you think will benefit you, and disregard the ones you disagree with. Hopefully this list can also motivate you to think of some unique affirmations of your own.
I recommend only practicing 1 or 2 affirmations at a time. And the affirmations you choose to practice should largely depend on your current goals in self improvement.
75 Affirmations for Self Improvement
1. Everyday, in every way, I am getting better and better.
2. Every failure can be a learning experience.
3. Live in the present moment.
4. I create value in other peoples’ lives.
5. I am always changing.
6. I am worthy of positive relationships in my life.
7. I wish the best for everyone.
8. I learn something new everyday.
9. I am genuinely interested in other people.
10. I have many strengths.
11. I don’t worry about the things I can’t control.
12. Listening to my emotions can help guide me to make better decisions.
13. My anxiety is motivation to change or improve.
14. I can overcome obstacles in my life.
15. I am a positive role model to others.
16. I will try something different today.
17. Stepping outside of my comfort zone is necessary for growth.
18. People are generally good.
19. I forgive anyone who has hurt me in the past.
20. I have a rich and supportive social circle.
21. What doesn’t kill me only makes me stronger.
22. My past is one big learning experience.
23. I must be the change I wish to see in the world.
24. I will try to be more understanding of others.
25. Depression is just a stepping stone.
26. This too shall pass.
27. I can find happiness in every moment.
28. I’m a proactive problem-solver.
29. When I open my mind and senses, I’m much more creative.
30. I can create my own positive energy.
31. When people get to know me, they really like me.
32. Just do it.
33. I can see the bigger picture.
34. I see money as a useful tool for helping myself and others.
35. I take small steps everyday to be more healthy.
36. I’m dedicated to my passions in life.
37. I have the resources to take care of my family.
38. My negative emotions can serve a positive function.
39. I determine the meaning of my life.
40. Every decision I make helps shape my destiny.
41. No risk, no reward.
42. I remain focused on what matters.
43. I participate in life, I don’t wait for it to happen.
44. I will be more conscious when acting and making decisions.
45. I can think rationally and intelligently.
46. I’m dedicated to self improvement.
47. I treat others with kindness and respect.
48. If I want something I’ve never had, I must do something I’ve never done.
49. I know when to relax and not take life so seriously.
50. Nature doesn’t hurry, yet all is accomplished.
51. I can accept criticism without taking it personally.
52. I love and accept my body.
53. When I love myself, I allow others to love me too.
54. Most of the limitations in my life are fictional.
55. I narrate the story of my life.
56. I exude purpose and joy.
57. All is well, right here, right now.
58. Today, I open my mind to the endless opportunities surrounding me.
59. I am grateful for the people in my life.
60. I am my own best friend.
61. I can find balance in my life.
62. I am mindful of my health and well-being.
63. I exercise freedom in all aspects of my life.
64. I know when to trust my intuition.
65. I can gain knowledge in anything if I’m willing to learn.
66. I strive to achieve my goals and values in life.
67. I can only give happiness to others once I have found happiness in myself.
68. I’m optimistic about the future.
69. I have all the material luxury I need.
70. I’m thankful for everything in my life.
71. I’m interconnected with everything in the universe.
72. I’m productive in achieving what I want in life.
73. Small changes on a daily basis lead to big changes over time.
74. Most of the time there is nothing to fear.
75. When life gets tough, I can persist.
Learn how to build a happier and more successful life in The Science of Self Improvement.